Pages

Friday, February 10, 2012

Green Bean Stew- Assyrian Stye

I have had a few requests ever since I started my blog, but perhaps the one I am most surprised about (though not sure why) is a friend of mine from a canning group in which I belong. She asked me for Lebanese style green bean stew. I know exactly what she is talking about; however, I am not Lebanese and I am not familiar with how to prepare the dish but I am an expert at eating it because it is very very good. So, in that spirit I am posting my recipe for Assyrian style green bean stew that is to be served over basmati rice (or any good long grain rice). This is very similar to Persian style; however, in the Persian style they add cinnamon and I am not partial to cinnamon in my stew. I hope you enjoy!!!

1 pound Boneless skinless chicken cut up into 1 inch cubes OR 1 pound stew meat cut up into 1 inch cubes
2 TB olive oil
1 Large onion (I prefer yellow onions) diced
2 Cloves of garlic diced
1 16oz bag of frozen green beans
1 teaspoon Turmeric
1 Quart beef stock or chicken stock (I use homemade stock)
1/2 Very juicy Lime or about 2TB
1 14oz can of Tomato Sauce
1 TB Tomato Paste
1 pinch of PERSIAN saffron( OR 1/2 teaspoon of crushed saffron) dissolved in 2tb of hot water [NOTE: In my opinion, Persian saffron is the best you can get and it is the most expensive. The cost of saffron is determined just like gold and is very valuable. If you can't find the Persian saffron (at a middle-eastern specialty store) get what you can as long as it is understood that there is a huge difference. Some saffron only has color and doesn't do anything for the aroma or flavor of the dish).

Heat the olive oil in a non-stick saute pan and saute the chicken or meat (sometimes I substitute tofu here. It is a great way to make this vegetarian. Instead of the stock, just use water)  over medium-high heat for about 10min making sure the meat gets brown on all sides (you might have to do this in two batches depending on the size of your pan). Add the turmeric and allow to saute for a couple of minutes. Add the diced onion and diced garlic and lower the heat to medium.  Saute for about 10min until the onions are translucent. Add 1 teaspoon of salt, 1/2 teaspoon of pepper and the green beans. Saute for about 5 minutes.

Add the stock, lime juice, tomato sauce, the tomato paste and the saffron. If you don't have saffron, you can skip this but just know this does amazing things to the dish. Lower the heat and cover to allow the stew to simmer for at least 30 min. After 30 min taste the stew and adjust seasonings.

5 comments:

  1. A.M. I like to try recipes outside of my normal tastes and habits, and this looks like one that would taste good and be a good experiment for me.
    Now, to find some saffron.....

    Thanks!
    -Marty

    http://junkerjunk.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Marty, try it both ways: once without saffron and once with. See which way you like it :) Let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My wife has health issues that prevent her eating tomatoes. Any suggestions for something to substitute for the tomato sauce & paste?

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can always remove the tomato sauce and paste- it will change the flavor- see how you like it. Is she allergic to things in the Nightshade family? If not, can she try eggplant? You can fry the eggplant separately and add it for texture- again the flavor will be different.

    Try it and let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks. Yes, eggplant would be an option. Will give it a try!

    ReplyDelete